Saturday, January 5, 2008

Writer's Block

Before the screen writers decided to go on strike, they had run out of ideas. Maybe I've seen too many Oliver Stone fantasies; but I believe the strike was just an excuse to give them time to come up with some new ideas. I mean, come on - another Rambo movie? Even I Am Legend is a rip-off of the Last Man on Earth. Alvin and the Chipmunks were singing when I was a child and they haven't improved with decades of practice. Water Horse is Free Willy, as Alien vs Predator is Alien vs Predator and Final Destination Three is the same as Final Destination 1 and 2. Six Rocky movies (although the first and last are actually good), three Pirates of the Caribbean, two (so far) National Treasures.....

As a result of the strike (and writers' block), new movie releases and TV series are being pushed back to allow time to write, produce, film, release and market new stuff. Things are so bad that one guy wants to bring back an updated version of "Green Acres". I never liked Mr. Haney - he reminded me of one of those televangelists predicting Armageddon and asking for money so he can reach heathens so that God can have more notches on His sword than Lucifer does.

A coworker who works with independent films suggested to me that I ought to write a screenplay for my novel-to-be-before-I-die "SeaTree". The problem is, I've already thought of a sequel and prequel for something I haven't written yet. It's there - in my mind, and about 50 pages on a CD rom somewhere on my desk. It might not be a bad idea to try a screenplay since I tend to provide too much detail. SeaTree could very well be one of those 500-600 page epic adventures rivaling the Chronicles of Narnia series. Or maybe not....very unlikely.

How does one convert from page to big screen this idea of a supernatural/romance/adventure dream that lasted probably three minutes one night? Unlike most dreams, this one has never diminished. It's as clear in my mind today as it was in 2001 when I had the dream. That alone tells me it's from God - yes, I know God despite what you read on this blog. I'm just a believer who's feet of clay extends past my belly button.

I hesitate to provide any insight into SeaTree here where everybody can read it, especially brain-locked screen writers. Someone must have peeked into my mind and came up with the idea for the "Heroes" television series and the new movie "Jumper". I might need to consult an attorney to protect SeaTree with an intellectual copywrite. See how desperate we've become to find a good story?

Maybe in my free time between working 9-10 days at the office and 5-6 hours at night at the theater and running my daughters to the hospital, sleep-overs, and the shopping mall I can post a few ideas so you'll have something to look forward to when SeaTree hits the big screen and I will no longer have to pick up behind pigs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please forgive the typos in this article. I fell asleep twice writing it, as I'm sure you did reading it.