Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Cloverfield - 1 Tub

If you had trouble following the jerking camera in "The Blair Witch Project", you won't want to sit too close to the screen for Cloverfield. I've heard it reported, but happily never witnessed, that some viewers have gotten nauseous while watching the film. Let me be the first to warn you: Don't throw up in my theater or I'll use your tongue to lap up every trace of bile and butter on that floor.

Where the title comes from is a mystery since the film takes place in New York City. The scenes of collapsing buildings comes straight out of 9/11 images. Beheading the Statue of Liberty is more than enough reason to throw all of the U.S.'s might at destroying the parasite that chooses to attack NY after Osama bin Laden. Perhaps Osama sent it......

Thankfully, Cloverfield is not one of those gory films that Hollywood churns out this time of year. You have to watch closely to see what is happening, and you're left wondering just what did happen; but once you've seen it two or three times it kind of grows on you.

Also thankfully, Cloverfield does not attract the sort of pigs who create havoc in other auditoriums. I'm at the point where I hope Hollywood stops producing family-friendly movies all together. Perhaps it's the geeks who come to this sort of movie who are by nature more fastidious than the goons who spill everything in movies like National Treasure, Alvin & the stupid Chipmunks, First Sunday, and Juno. I might not pay to watch a movie like Cloverfield, but I don't mind cleaning up behind those who do pay.

No comments: