Friday, July 25, 2008

Mama Mia! - 5 Tubs

I hated cleaning this auditorium, but the movie was fantastic! But first, the down and dirty: women, for the most part middle-aged and overweight, trashed my theater and rest rooms last weekend as they flocked to see this movie starring Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth and others in a big-screen adaptation of the Broadway play Mama Mia!

Large tubs of popcorn and plastic Dasani bottles littered the floors, while both trash receptacles overflowed (which is a good thing because many people did take their trash with them). Perhaps the amount of overturned popcorn could be attributed to the laughter and the clapping at the end of the movie - well deserved applause for one of the best feel-good movies of the year.

If there was anything I didn't enjoy about the movie, it was Pierce Brosnan. I can only assume that he was cast in his role because he ages well and needed the work. He certainly can't sing, and Simon would have embarrassed him had he tried out for American Idol. Despite the painful croaks emmitted by Brosnan, the rest of the cast did a great job. The location was beautiful, and the music perfect. I had to listen to my Abba CD on the way to work this morning.

I hate to admit this, but there was a moment when Meryl Streep was reminiscing about her daughter growing up that a tear rolled down my cheek too as my daughter is a rising senior this year and will be off on her great adventures sooner than I'm ready to let her go. Fortunately, I sat near the front and there was no one close enough to see me swipe away the tear. Any movie that can bring me to tears or to burst out laughing as I did in Mama Mia! is worth the price of the ticket, even if I didn't have to pay to see this movie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is one of the few plays i've actually seen, which ended up being great... it's funny to think of ol' Pierce taking a stab at singing, yeeesh